In order to tow a caravan or trailer over 750kg you now need to obtain a B+E licence category unless you passed your driving licence before 1997.
The DVSA test involves driving a approx 20 mile route on a wide variety of roads, encountering various driving situations, undertaking a practical demonstration of hitching and unhitching the trailer as well as a reversing and manoeuvring exercise at the DVSA Test Centre.
At Motoring For All we can provide you with extensive training whilst towing a trailer as well as providing the vehicle and trailer for your test.
Why Choose Motoring For All
- Fully qualified instructors
- Excellent quality towing vehicle and trailer
- High pass rate
- Great customer satisfaction
Our Service Area
We can provide B+E Trailer Lessons and Training in
- Trailer Training Lincoln
- Trailer Training Retford
- Trailer Training Worksop
- Trailer Training Lincolnshire
- Trailer Training Nottinghamshire
Enquire About Trailer & Caravan Training
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Government Rules about what I can tow?
The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.
Licences issued after 19 January 2013
If you passed your car driving test (category B) from 19 January 2013, you can tow:
- small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
- a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing car or van is no more than 3,500kg (3.5 tonnes) maximum authorised mass (MAM)
MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.ier.
Licences issued after 1 January 1997 but before 18 January 2013
If you passed your car driving test between 1 January 1997 and 18 January 2013, you can:
- drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
- tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg MAM. You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.
What do all the licence codes mean?
B+E = as above, but with a trailer that has a MAM (Maximum Allowed Mass) weight of more than 750kg
C1 = vehicle that weighs between 3.5 tonnes and 7.5 tonnes
C = vehicle that weighs more than 7.5 tonnes
CE = vehicle with trailer combination up to 44 tonnes
D1 = vehicle that has between 9-16 seats
D = vehicle with more than 16 seats
F = Tractors
G = Road Rollers
H = Tracked vehicles
K = Mowing machine
P = Moped